Uber and Lyft Injury Accident in Tampa Bay
Injured in a Ridesharing Accident? Call Our Uber and Lyft Injury Accident Lawyer in Tampa Bay for Help
Uber and Lyft are two common rideshare options for residents and visitors alike in Florida who are looking for a convenient and affordable means of transportation. There are many different reasons that people in Florida choose to use Uber or Lyft, whether it be for a night out, getting to and from an airport, getting to an attraction, hospital, or any other place in Florida. While Uber and Lyft are excellent options for travel, there is always the risk of being injured in an accident while riding in a Lyft or Uber. When this happens, you may not be sure of what you should do as it can be a bit more complicated than if you were injured in your own vehicle. This is why it is wise to speak with an Uber and Lyft injury accident lawyer in Tampa Bay who can help you understand your rights after being injured in a ridesharing accident in Florida.
Here at Dumas & Sanclemente, our team of compassionate and experienced lawyers understand how devastating and stressful it can be to be involved in any type of ridesharing accident in Florida. We are prepared to help victims of these accidents by protecting their rights and ensuring that they are able to recover the maximum amount of compensation available to them under Florida law. We offer FREE consultations and can help you and your family recover compensation for pain and suffering, lost wages, medical bills, and other damages caused in an Uber and Lyft injury accident in Tampa Bay.
How Ridesharing Accidents in Florida are Different From Other Types of Motor Vehicle Accidents
According to research, rideshare accidents are on the rise with an increase of approximately 2%-3% of car accident-related deaths in the last few years. According to Uber, they report that there are over 100 Uber-related fatalities each year. While ridesharing accidents may appear to be quite similar to other types of motor vehicle accidents, after you are involved in a ridesharing accident you are able to see how different Uber and Lyft accidents are from other car accidents.
If you try to contact Uber or Lyft directly after being involved in a car accident, they typically will refer to their lawyer or insurance company. Typically, this process can be lengthy, and in the end they will often tell you that the driver was not an employee of their company, and instead was an independent contractor or freelancer.
Many times, the driver of the Uber or Lyft’s insurance company will try to claim that the insurance policy does not cover personal injuries of victims who are injured while the driver is working. The reason for this is that if the driver fails to tell their insurance company that they are driving for a rideshare company such as Uber or Lyft, they are not required to provide compensation for injuries. Drivers of rideshare companies such as Uber or Lyft often do not notify their insurance company because their insurance premium typically goes up.
If you try to notify your own insurance company of the accident, they will tell you that you have to recover compensation from the at-fault party, not from your own policy.
As you can see, trying to navigate process of recovering compensation for your injuries is complex and stressful, necessitating consultation with an experienced Uber and Lyft injury accident lawyer in Tampa Bay like ours.
What You Should Do After Being Involved in an Uber or Lyft Accident
After being injured in an Uber or Lyft Accident there are certain steps you should take to set yourself up with the best opportunity to recover the maximum amount of compensation that you are entitled to. These steps are similar to a regular car accident, but there are some unique ridesharing steps to take too. Steps that you should take after being injured in a rideshare accident include the following:
- Call 911 – If you or someone else is injured in a rideshare accident, the first thing you should do is call 911.
- Open the Uber or Lyft app and take a screenshot of the app to show that the ride was still in progress and the location of where the accident occurred. This is vital as the driver may try to claim that the ride had already been completed. The screenshot will help to match the police report and also will serve as evidence should your case need to go to trial.
- Receive medical treatment – It is important that you receive medical treatment if you were injured. Even if you believe that you were not injured, it is a good idea to seek medical attention for assessment in the event that you suffered an injury that may not be apparent immediately but will require medical treatment at a later date. Seeking medical attention also allows for there to be a record of any injuries sustained.
- Talk to witnesses and take photographs of the scene – It is important to take down contact information from witnesses should you need them to serve as witnesses in a trial if needed. Taking photographs of all aspects of the scene can aid as evidence. If you are severely injured, ask your friend or loved one to take these photos. Do not try to take the photos yourself as the defense attorney can use this against you to try to downplay your injuries.
- Contact an experienced rideshare accident attorney – This step is vital to you successfully receiving compensation for your injuries. It is important to contact a rideshare accident lawyer first before you speak with any insurance companies as insurance companies may try to get you to say something that could hurt your case.
How Our Experienced Uber and Lyft Injury Accident Lawyers in Tampa Bay Can Help You
Being injured a Lyft or Uber accident can be scary, but our team of personal injury lawyers is experienced in navigating the complexities of recovering compensation after an Uber or Lyft accident. Some lawyers will not fight back for you as they should, allowing rideshare companies to withhold compensation that you are eligible for.
But not at Dumas & Sanclemente. Our compassionate and experienced car accident lawyers will fight back against rideshare companies and insurance companies to recover you the compensation you are entitled to. This includes proving that rideshare companies were negligent in hiring unsafe drivers or that they failed to provide proper training and reassessment of their drivers. To learn more about how we can help you, please call our bodily injury law firm to schedule your FREE consultation by dialing <a href=”tel:+1-866-832-1569″>866-832-1569</a> or using our convenient “Contact Us” box available here to send us a message.